Sunday 16 October 2011

Round Rotherham 50 mile Trail Race Report 2011

Rotherham this year was part of and the last race in the Run Further UK Ultra Championships 2011 series with allot of points at stake for some of the runners involved but I had not entered the UK Ultra Running championship series this year.
The Rotherham Trail race was my first introduction to ultra running in 2008 and since then I have fallen in love with the trail, fell and off road ultra running.

On Arrival.

I arrived at Dearne Valley College at 6.20 am just missing the walkers start at 6 am. The weather forecast today was for clear blue skies and 17 degrees but it was only 2 degrees on arrival. Again their were familiar faces to last years entries and with over 300 entrants it was shaping up to be quite a competitive race.

The Race.

Start to Checkpoint One - Grange Park.
At 7am after the final instructions the race started and I deliberately go off fairly hard for the first two miles but unlike last year no one has been tempted or more like silly enough to follow, so I back off at this point and get into a steady pace. I navigate through Elscar wood at the six mile mark no problems, take my first gel and drink ( I had planned on one gel every 30 min's and just filling my water bottle at checkpoints minimising wasted time) I pass through Wentworth uneventfully and head up to Keppels column and arrive at Grange Park the first checkpoint.

Grange Park to Treeton - Checkpoint Two
Everything is running smoothly at this point and I was regularly going past the 6 am starters and keeping to my race plan, staying positive and trying to enjoy the day. Through Tinsley then Catcliff and on to checkpoint two at Treeton.

Treeton to Harthill - Checkpoint Three.
Filled my water bottle, grabbed a banana and off on my merry way past Treeton dyke lake and on to the turning at the joinery works on the A57 to rejoin the trail. "Holly Cow" or should I say "Holly Bull" and to my surprise!! their blocking the trail, was a bull with very big horns protecting three calf's, I took evasive action jumped into a dense undergrowth banging my arm on a tree stump and lacerated  my legs ( the joys of ultra running ) and managed to maneuver my way around the fierce looking bull. Pheeeeew close shave.
and then on to the long slog through Rother valley country park, through Norwood and on to the 25 mile mark at checkpoint three Harthill.

Harthill to Woodsetts - Checkpoint Four
On leaving Harthill I had been steadily running for three hours 6 mins and was starting to feel a little tired especially with the constant glare of the sun and the temperature steadily rising.  Some people cope better than others in warm weather but for some reason I have always struggled despite trying to use the correct hydration and fueling strategies. Up to Netherthorp past the airfield through Turnerwood past Lindrick golf course occasionally checking behind me but not a competitor in sight and on to the Woodsetts checkpoint at the 30 mile point.

Woodsetts to Firebeck - Checkpoint Five.
On leaving woodsetts I had the first hint of a possible problem I could feel my right hamstring starting to have slight spasms "oh no not the dreaded cramp coming on" so I had another gel hydrated myself a little more and slowed my pace a little and this seemed to do the job in getting me to the 35 mile checkpoint at firebeck.

Firebeck to Maltby - Checkpoint Six.
Filled my water bottle had a gel and banana extra water and on my merry way but shortly after leaving Firebeck the spasms in my right hamstring started again but this time brought me to a brief stop, so I stretch the hamstrings and legs out and tried to get rid of some of the lactate acid, again I decided to slow my pace right down and hopefully the gel, water and banana would kick in which it did but I was now emraging time but at least I was going Forward. A brief look behind me going into Maltby and I could see a competitor in the distance.

Maltby to Old Denby - Checkpoint Seven.
On leaving Maltby I was unaware that while I was in the checkpoint filling my water bottle and taking on some carbs, Ian Symington had run straight through the checkpoint without me noticing, so when I headed out I thought I was still leading the race. The next 6 and half miles was a real battle against the cramping issues I was having and at this point my only thought was on completing the race and trying to get under the 7 hour mark. About half a mile away from the Old Denby checkpoint, just past Hooton Roberts, a relay runner informed me I was now over three and a half minutes away from the leader, well I was a bit surprised and realised that he must have passed me while I was inside the checkpoint at Maltby, so I plod on to the last checkpoint at Old Denby where they inform me I was over 5 and a half minutes behind the leader and unknown to me at the time, Kevin Doyle was breathing down my neck in third place just over a minute behind.

Old Denby - Checkpoint Seven to Finish.
A quick drink of water and a gel and I am off on my merry way. With just over three miles to the finish I decide to try to push on despite the constant irritation of my spasming tired legs but to my surprise they allow me a good pace to the finish in which I made almost three minutes on the winner Ian Symington and importantly 2 minutes on third placed Kevin Doyle. The winning time was Ian Symington 6 hrs 47.14 secs, Ian Bishop 2nd place, 6 hrs 50.04 secs , Kevin Doyle 3rd 6hrs 53.05 secs.

To Conclude
Although it was quite a tough day for me especially from the 35 mile mark I was elated to finish the race 2nd and in a very respectable time.
My congratulations firstly go out to all the people involved in making this flawlessly organised gem of a race take place, now in its 29th year.
I would also like to congratulate all the finishers and Ian Symington who was a worthy winner.


















No comments:

Post a Comment